Experience your own dolce vita with these perfect Italian islands for families. They have something for everyone. Beautiful beaches where kids can swim and play? Check! Attractions to keep the whole family amused? Check! Delicious food for all appetites? Double check! Finding a blissful family holiday destination can be a hassle. Virtual Wanderlust has put in the research so you don’t have to. Discover why these Italian Islands for families are a great option for your 2022 holiday.
Table of Contents:
What Makes a Destination Family Friendly?
Italian Islands for families come in all shapes and sizes. Here are some of the top things we look out for when choosing a family friendly destination.
- Travel Time – Even the best of us can get weary on a long journey. Places with a short travel time makes things easier on you and the kids. These Italian islands for families have direct flights from London or easy layovers.
- Entertainment – It’s not a family holiday unless everyone is entertained. From relaxing in the soporific sun, to splashing in the sea or seeing the sites. There is plenty to keep everyone busy on these Italian islands.
- Food Options – It’s vital that a holiday destination has food that the kids will eat. Luckily, Italian cuisine is generally loved by all ages. These Italian Islands for families have lots of restaurants so everyone can enjoy some local dishes!
- Comfortable Accommodation – On a family holiday, there’s nothing worse than being cramped on top of one another. Equally, it can be a shame to have to spread apart. Finding the perfect type of accommodation for your family can make all the difference to your stay. These Italian Islands for families have lots of options to choose from. Check out these luxury Italian villas for inspiration!
5 Best Italian Islands for Families
There are so many amazing places to holiday in Italy. Hopefully this list of 5 family friendly Italian Islands will help you narrow down your search.
Procida is a tiny island in the bay of Naples and is Italy’s capital of culture for 2022. It is one of the best Italian Islands for families who want a mix of activity and relaxation. Everyone will love the colourful houses lining the waterfront. At the centre of Procida, is the fortified historic village of Terra Murata. The Vivara Nature Reserve is also excellent for a day out. Of course, there are also long, scenic stretches of beach to enjoy.
Stromboli is one of Italy’s more hidden Islands. It is located near the south of Italy in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Stromboli is one of the best Italian Islands for families who love nature. The island is an active volcano. Kids and adults alike can marvel at the lava formations. Hiking, kayaking and diving are also all available. Or, simply relax on the splendid beaches.
It is no secret that Sardinia is a fantastic holiday destination. The island is great for kids as well as adults. Sardinia is located off the west coast of Italy in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. It is home to stunning white sand beaches with handy amenities such as parasols and cafes. The clean, shallow waters are ideal for paddling and snorkelling. For a break from the beach, there are several theme parks.
- Aquafantasy is an exciting waterpark with lazy rivers and thrilling slides.
- Le Ragnatele is a treetop adventure course with an exciting zipline.
- Motherland Luna Park is a travelling fairground that moves to different places around Sardinia.
Sardinia is baby friendly to teen trendy! For the ultimate family holiday ease, why not look for an Italian villa 90 minutes from the airport on this island?
Popular with all ages, Sicily is one of the best Italian islands for families. It is the largest Italian island and is found off the ‘toe’ of Italy. There are plenty of quiet seaside villages which are perfect for curious toddlers to explore. For adventurous families, hiking up Mount Etna is a must or you can admire from afar in the town of Taormina. The Valley of the Temples is a fascinating archeological site that will wow the whole family. Sicily is a great place to go for a mix of relaxation and adventure.
Elba is one of the most popular Italian Islands for families from Tuscany to visit. If the Italians are going there, it must be good! The sheltered beaches are perfect for sunbathing and swimming. It can be fun to explore the island by renting an e-bike and cycling around. There are trailers available if you have really little ones. It’s possible to see dolphins from an Elba boat tour. Or scuba dive to see the Elviscot Shipwreck. The restaurants have plenty of child-friendly pasta dishes as well as interesting seafood options for refined palettes.
These Italian islands for families will satisfy all your loved ones. If you still haven’t found your ideal destination, why not check out these top Greek islands for families. Portugal is another country with plenty to excite families. For more travel inspiration, follow Virtual Wanderlust on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.